Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Review of Reading 27: Seeing Green: Knowing and Saving the Environment on Film


Summary of the Reading 

(Image borrowed from Nalaka Gunawardene, please click on the here to visit his blog)

This essay was written by Luis A. Vivance, an American Anthropologist who has very high expectations for the “environmental film industry” that currently, are not being met.  Throughout the essay he discussed several films, and how they are not only failing to be doing “good” they claim to be doing, but are actually causing harm.             

      Vivance’s view of the appropriate environmental film would be one that includes indigenous views of the environment, with our typical Western views.  Much like health education, the films should exhibit nonmalficence and beneficence when filming and researching a particular environment.  The films should be free of our American societal norms such as conservative sexual relationships, and an emergence in social orders.  According to Vivance, “a film should be a carefully crafted win-win vision of conservation and sustainable development” (McKinney 113).  It becomes our job to consider what we are watching, and how real the “documentary” actually is.   Does the filming of the documentary harm the natives of that land?  What is the environmental dilemma being portrayed, and who is that dilemma most directly affecting?  Are plants, animals, and entire ecosystems being harmed, and if they aren’t harmed, are we getting an accurate view of that plant/animal/ecosystem’s life?  Are the “remote” places that are being filmed remote because the camera crew did a good job of excluding roads, villages and civilization?  The author of this essay indirectly asked so many questions for the reader to consider, I have only named a few.

          As the essay progressed from film to film, the author acknowledged what each film was doing right and what each was doing wrong.  In the conclusion he stated, “we have more to gain by scrutinizing the vehicles of representation, and not just supporting a film-makers artistic and commercial impulses” (McKinney 113).  Environmental films shouldn’t be earnest political documents.  They need to become more realistic, and less harmful to the environment they are “trying to save”.  


Concepts that Challenged My Thinking

I had never in my life watched a documentary on National Geographic, or Animal Planet and thought that was I was viewing was an “earnest political document”.
  After reading this article, I have changed my mind.  I feel like Vivance brought up some very good points.  He is correct; nature shouldn’t be censored, dumbed down, or changed to make it more marketable. 

A remote place that is not actually remote?  I had never considered that before.  If I look at any reality TV show or documentary, what happens is the camera-crew and the film editors do everything they can to make the environment (whether it be a social scene at a club, or a forest in Malaysia) exactly the way they want it.  People who dwell in that environment on a regular basis are never shown, conversations between humans, and interactions between animals are all too often edited out, or changed to be more appealing.  I think each time I watch a documentary from here on out I will question, what is being cut out, edited, or dubbed-over with stock sounds and images?

What can I do to save the environment?
  Who is telling me that is what needs to be done?  As this essay presented, popular mass-media messages aren’t necessarily the best way to get information regarding the environment.  They show messages that will appeal to the audience, and will bring in revenue.  I have realized it is my job to do some researching to find out what organizations deserve my attention, which ones are just media scams? What can I do on a daily basis that goes beyond what media tells me to do?

There was a paragraph in the essay that stated “Plotkin urges us to consider the empirical rigor of shamanistic biochemistry (they’re better chemists than us in certain instances), and argues that Western medicine’s materialistic bias and search for magic bullets prevents a holistic understanding of disease etiology and the subtle and comprehensive understanding of nature among indigenous healers” (McKinney 112).
  This paragraph blew my mind.  I had never considered the “doctors” around the world, and the fact that they may have a better understanding of the human body than we do; yet they aren’t ever allowed to be portrayed in a documentary about their environment?  The ability of indigenous healers to take from the land and heal their fellow village/tribe members is phenomenal; that could possibly be one of the most important human-environment interactions I have ever heard of.

New Terms

ethnography: a branch of anthropology dealing with the scientific description of individual cultures.

anthropomorphisman anthropomorphic conception or representation, as of a deity.

mundanity: the condition or quality of being mundane; mundaneness (Click on link to define mundane)

gemeinschaft: a society or group characterized chiefly by a strong sense of common identity, close personal relationships, and an attachment to traditional and sentimental concerns.

herbarium: a collection of dried plants systematically arranged.

ethnobotany: the systematic study of such lore and customs

ecotourism: tourism to places having unspoiled natural resources, with minimal impact on the environment being a primary concern.


Links For You To Visit

I have included in the Paragraphs above a few links for you to visit.  Here are a some others I found:

1. This is an article about indigenous healing, I found it to be very interesting. Indigenous Healing

2. To learn more about the Penan Indians and the logging situation in the Borneo rain forest visit this link.

3. For more information on any of the films the author presented in the text, visit the Internal Movie Dababase website, and type in the name of the film you would like more information on in the search bar. 


25 comments:

  1. Sara-
    I really think we all need to think outside the box on different ways we can improve our environment. Many things that the media presents are often wrong and misleading. I found the website you linked to organizations that deserve our attention very helpful. It's a great way to get people more involved and WANT to get involved since they are enjoying what they are doing. Very good post, it was easy to follow. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara J-
    I really enjoyed your post. I liked the picture before your post, it adds a nice touch. I agree with you that tv shows and documentarys can be sugar coated in order to make it more appealing. It's a very sad thing to know that half the time what we're watching is fake. Great post, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like in the "Links for you to vist" section the Indigenous Healing link. It gives you a better idea of what their life is like.

    Good reference from the text we are using in class.
    According to Vivance, “a film should be a carefully crafted win-win vision of conservation and sustainable development” (McKinney 113)

    You were able to put together a nice review. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture at the beginning of your post - it suits this reading wonderfully. Also, I thought your comment about the indigenous healers was excellent because I hadn't thought about it in that perspective before. Most of the time when I see an environmental film I just take it at face value and forget about all the underlying agendas that may have affected its production. From here on out I will probably be more skeptical of such films!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara J,
    Good job on your post! I have watched many of these so called documentaries or as cinema historian Derek Bouse calls them, "docu-dramas," and personally I wouldn't want to sit in front of my TV for 4 hours to see a giraffe or lion. It wouldn't be to much fun to watch a fishing show if nobody ever caught a fish!! Anyway, I don't believe half of what is portrayed on TV, to many half truths out there. The fact is that many of these documentaries are portrayed as being accurate historical evidence, when actually they are skewed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara- I really enjoyed reading your review of this reading! I agree with what you said about never really watching a National Geographic or such of the sorts kind of movie really seriously or actually wondering if it was the real thing. I agree with you, that after reading this,it's ridiculous that they can almost "dumb down?" the shows to make it show what we want to see and make it marketable. They need to show how things actually happen! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I like how your focus towards the end was about what to trust and where your information should come from. Lot's of prouction companies are in it to make money, just like any other business. "A remote place that is not actually remote" was a quote that stood out in my head because I have never really thought about it like that either. I too, will have a different outlook when watching such documentaries. I will probably think of what was left out just as much as what I just watched. Also, I noticed the coloring of your font. I like how it changes colors from summary, to your personal thoughts then to key terms. Catchy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since reading this article and post I had never really thought about how making a film or video could possibly cause harm to the problem being addressed. When if you really stop to think about it, it makes sense that there can be mixed messages of showing a "natural" environment that has edited out the trash or pollution around it. I agree with what you said about how videos need to be more realistic and stick to their words of trying to save the environment.
    I think you made some good points and have some great links to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara,
    You have done an absolutely amazing job on your post this week! I really have enjoyed reading it! Not to mention all the additional sweet stuff you have found for us to check out! Great! Specking specially about you post, I found one quote that I felt summed it all up "He is correct; nature shouldn’t be censored, dumbed down, or changed to make it more marketable." For me this sentence said it all! Really I mean it is true and it should be what we are seeing so we know what is real and what nature is really all about!:) Again, great job Sara keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara,

    Great job hyper linking a lot of your definitions to outside pages pages! :) The quote that you took from the book.... nature shouldn’t be censored, dumbed down, or changed to make it more marketable... I completely agree with. People should not have to view a censored image of what's going on with our environment and individual's will never get a clear picture of what's going on and what needs to change if nature becomes censored, dumbed down and changed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You focussed on the same issue that many others did, and I, as well, found it very interesting. It is crazy to think what we are seeing in documentaries, isn't exactly how it is. I never thought that animals or wildlife may have been hurt in the filming of certain documentaries, and I definately didn't think that I was only seeing the landscape that they wanted to portray. I thought that if I saw forest full of healthy vegetation, that it was surrounded by healthy vegetation, when in reality, this scenery could be right on the side of the rode, with the power lines edited out. This really makes me question what is truly real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sara J!

    I really like the image with the cameraman filming in nature! I tried to find an image with a similar concept for my review post, but I gave up. Awesome work! Also, I like how you applied the terms "nonmalficence" and "beneficence" to the text. It really ties in well with ethics and morals in the health field, including environmental health and film-making! Congrats on your "ENVIRO-cool Blog Award!" You deserve it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sara,

    Your blogs are always so well-written and easy to follow. Once again your use of colors makes it warm, and visually appealing. I also agree 100% that nature should not be censored or dumbed down in any manner. What good is a documentary if it isn't genuine?

    Also, the links you provided were great. The "Indigenous Healing" article was really interesting. The definitions you provided were very helpful as well! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that from reading your blog, we shouldn’t believe everything we see on the discovery channel or animal planet. I mean with editing techniques whose to say what were watching is really what’s going on? I agree with the whole logging thing also, we still use paper everywhere; we must still be cutting down trees even if we don’t see them do it. I also found your posted websites very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you did a GREAT job of summarizing that reading. What stood out to me most, and that I can relate to most about your review, would be the area where you shared your opinion. I agree entirely about how other people around the country having more intellect of the human body and its physiology is shocking. In that respect, I think it is only fair to say that what really will heal people is nature, as well as natural remedies, to some extent. I just feel that here in the US, we are so fixated on 'quick fixes' and finding the easiest way to get results, that are so often irrational expectations in the first place, that we completely loose sight of what the human body can really do for itself, if just given the chance and treated with respect. Ok, Ill get off my soap box now :) Good thoughts tho!

    ReplyDelete
  16. -Heya Sara! First off, great job on the review. Can definitely see what Dr. V is talking about when she says it seems like your are face to face with us talkin!
    -And I also very much so agree with what you were saying about Vivance and how nature shouldn't be 'dumbed' down just to market it easier.
    -Great job with all of the links and all of the definitions!
    -See ya later!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara-
    I enjoyed reading your post. I liked how you pointed out that as the essay progressed from film to film, the author acknowledged what each film was doing right and what each was doing wrong. I think its important for film makers to know what is important to show and how they can improve in their work. You also had great sites to go and visit.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sara- I really liked your post. I also really liked the questions that you brought up that we should think about while watching some of these films. I think that after reading this I will also start to ask myself those questions while watching documentaries! You picked really good vocab words to define. I didn't know a lot of them either, it was really helpful!
    Congrats on your award!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked on how you included more links at the end cause it adds more to it and really makes the post better. I also agree that nature should not be dumbed down either. Thanks for including those defs. too it really helped out!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Dearest Sara Jandt,
    As always, you never disappoint me with your writing abilities!
    This was a great and interesting post. Interesting essay by Vivance. I liked how films and documentaries of nature and the environment are compared to sex education. So much controversy there. Before reading about this issue, I never really realized and thought that there would be roads, villages, civilization, etc. So good question, are we doing more good than harm? Why are we making environmental documentaries marketable!? They should be the real thing!
    Great questions, which organizations DO deserve are attention? Which ones don't? There are so many popular ones on tv and many people don't know/ or don't care.
    Thanks for defining and linking the terms! and also giving us the links!
    Very thorough post, great thoughts and review!
    Love Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, awesome review Sarah! I even did this review and I still learned something new. It's pretty interesting how much influence and depiction the media can feed us...and for some they just suck it in and go with what they see. I am definitely going to try and capture everything and keep in mind what the article talks about next time I watch a documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Sara! Great job organizing your review=) I can't believe that many of the things that the media presents are often wrong and misleading. I wonder if the dvd series Planet Earth is as misleading because it is educational and action packed. Thanks for adding the links to the key terms throughout the reading.
    Lastly, I liked the link for that movie Push that you found the website, I might consider adding it to my netflicks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sara-
    WOw...you are a good writer! I always enjoy reading your stuff..sweet picture too.! I agree with you that when watching National Geographic films or other documentaries I never think that it is a "earnerst political document." I really like how you asked the question " a remote place that is not actually remote?" That was a good point to make! Great job on terms and links...you really got this down! Peace and Love my web homie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Sara!

    Amazing post! You are a great writer! Also great job on all the links and terms! I think that you did a really great job picking out some really key and iteresting quotes from the text. One of my favorites was the one about how nature shouldn’t be censored, dumbed down, or changed to make it more marketable.

    I also agree with you in the fact that when I watch nature shows I never before have stopped to think about how many people are in the backround, or if there's a city close by... Until this reading I guess I was buying into the marketing they were putting out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review!
    I like how you stated that "environmental films shouldn't be earnest political documents."
    I never really thought about all that is hidden from these films. Like you said they need to be more realistic; after all isn't that the whole point of a documentary?
    It shocks me how I've been so blinded by the market behind these films until now! I am definitely going to pay more attention while watching the discovery channel or animal planet.

    ReplyDelete