Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 1 & 2

The past couple of weeks have been pretty hectic.  Obviously with the start of a new semester, comes the start of new relationships, new challenges, and new ideas!

Week 1
The first day of class was pretty intimidating.  As I sat there in my seat I thought to myself, "Sara, nature conscious...no....".  To be honest I am one of the most environmentally UNfriendly people I know.  I don't recycle, and I have a wicked habit of leaving lights on, water running, and windows open when the heat is pumping. The first week of class opened my eyes to the fact that this "going green" trend is important, and it is vital to my future career as a community health educator.  I guess it is time for me to jump on the bandwagon!

Week 2
Unfortunately, I had some pretty serious stuff come up at home and I had to miss class on Tuesday.  With all of the drama, I didn't really have time to consider the environment, and how I was affecting it, or it was affecting me.  However, I had an eye opening experience on my drive back to Duluth on Tuesday evening.  I had about 1/3 tank of gas, and the last thing I wanted to do was stop and fill up.  Thankfully, I made it back to Duluth safely with 21 miles to spare!!  Without trying to be environmentally friendly, in some ways I am! I drive a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, and although it is not a hybrid or anything, it gets great gas mileage and is incredibly fuel efficient.  I guess what I have realized this week is that even in small ways, I can make a contribution towards a healthier environment.













In both week 1 and week 2, I have gained much experience with blogging.  Here I am writing my third one already!  As I was playing around with all of the different features, I noticed that instead of picking a color from the 20-some choices given, I could type in my own hex color code.  What the heck is a hex color code?? I didn't know either, so I googled it. Props to Dr. V. for the tip to google when in doubt.  Basically, the hex color code is a 6 digit figure that tells the computer precisely which color to display.  I found this awesome website that allows you to pick the color you want, and it generates a code.  When you are editing your template colors and fonts, consider using your own colors using the tool I found on 2 Create a Website.

Well, that is week 1 and week 2 in review.  Good luck with all your blogging and a special shout out to Group 3: Ben, Abbey, Ingrid, Katie & Autumn!! Everyone go comment on their blogs next! =)

8 comments:

  1. Sara,

    Very well-written blog! I feel you when you say you are very "environmentally unfriendly." Although I try my hardest to do good for the environment, I still consider myself "environmentally unfriendly" as well. As humans, and especially college students it is natural for us to occasionally leave the lights on, water running, and windows open, but what has helped me fight these habits is knowing that ultimately more money comes out of my pocket (along with my roommate's) at the end of the month if I don't change my behavior. So I'm just throwing it out there, and letting you know you're not alone when you say you're not "nature conscious."

    As for your trip back to Duluth, that is amazing! My best friend has a Cobalt and they DO get very good gas milage. The little things in life can make a big difference, so props to you for having a "green car." =P Oh and thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara!
    Your blog looks good! It looks like you had a good and interesting break! Also good to see that you are thinking about the environment when driving! I also agree with you that the first couple days of class have been intimidating! I think that everyone feels the same way. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to learn more about the environment in this class since I don't really think I'm that "environmental friendly" either. I'm glad you didn't run out of gas on your way back to Duluth.. that wouldn't have been fun in this cold weather! Your blog looks great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you just shocked me that you are not environmental friendly...jk...I myself just got into big this summer after I read some articles and heard a lot about it too!! Going Green is not easy at first but it is worth it in the end!!

    About the whole car with the gas...I totally know what you mean cause i too made a trip like that not too long ago from the cities! I made the whole around trip on 1 tank of gas...and I am pretty sure its a 15 gallon tank! So I think it was pretty good for my little Ford!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, you are way too cute! your blog it really great I loved the photo album that you added and the header as well! You are really doing a great job and I wanted to say thank you for posting the size of the header on my blog! Im sure you are doing more for the environment than you think you are sara! keep you the really great work ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post, Sara! Love the shout out and the props! I like how your bring your real life and personality into the story!! Can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's an award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete