Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Share & Voice 9: I'm a thinker...

Okay this is going to be a short and sweet Share & Voice post because basically I just want your input on my thoughts. 

Today in class we were discussing how to write a letter to a political representative.  As I was following along the webpage, I noticed there tends to be a very specific layout to this sort of letter.  In fact, the website referenced in class (and linked above) gives examples on how to write something appropriately.  So I got to thinking: what if our political representatives look at the format of the letter the same way employers look at resumes, and throw out all of the one's that aren't formatted/addressed properly?

I know it sounds arbitrary but heres the problem.  I am a smart girl, and I know how to research, and how to influence people.  However, before today I did not know how to properly write a letter to a political representative.  If I had written a letter to a political representative previous to my knowledge of how to do so properly, would they have even cared to read what I wanted to say?

If we take it a step further, who's voices are the loudest?  I would be willing to bet those who are highly educated, and know how to properly write a letter make a much bigger impact than those who do not.  In regards to all of the enviornmental injustice we have, those who are most negatively impacted by environmental burdens are citizens of low socioeconomic classes.  Socioeconomic status goes hand in hand with education level.  So to put it simply: the people who are taking the brunt environmentally are also the people who don't have the means (computer/internet access) or the knowledge to send a proper letter to their political representative.  So are their voices being heard?  In my opinon...they aren't. What's your opinion?


4 comments:

  1. I think your right. People of poor socioeconomic status may believe that it doesn't pay to put their voice out there, simply because they know they don't stand very high on the education pedestal so don't attempt to write a letter to their representative. However, where ever one may sit in socioeconomic status should not be a determining factor in reaching their representative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant questions, Sara! I am giving you a standing ovation right now! Along with Noah's comment...very impressive critically thinking, grasshoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But people have the old saying driven into their heads so much they pretty much believe it and feel that their is not way to change it either ("money talks" and "he who has the money has the power")...good points made here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's so true Sara! The system is flawed. Sure it's nice to have a universal format for everything, but whoever created it must have been somewhat educated, therefore creating a HUGE barrier for the uneducated...I think every letter (regardless of formatting) should be looked at closely and carefully, but in reality our politicians don't have that time to do so, so maybe that's where we could pinpoint the problem? I don't know...but you definitely do make a good point about this environmental injustice Sara!

    ReplyDelete