Monday, May 11, 2009

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities

Abbey’s Activity

The ecological footprint activity was so entertaining! I think that this website did a WONDERFUL job of teaching kids to be green in a really open, and simple learning environment.  Also of the three links you provided, I liked the website that showed users how to make a school greener the most.  I think that having knowledge about what our schools can do to make their facilities more environmentally friendly helps the citizens of those school systems advocate for change.  Both the second and third website also talked about environmental health as a whole, and health for children.  I think it is important to consider that all forms of health are interrelated and dependent on one another.  Good find Abbey, very educational activity!!

Autumn’s Activity

I thought this activity was super fun!  If I were a kid, I think I would spend the whole day playing this game.  Fun fact about Sara J: I am very bad at holding onto plates!!  Having information on the side after you pick your foods was very helpful.  It does a great job of explaining to game users exactly why choosing the foods they did was right/wrong, and gives options to make healthier choices next time.  I think educational activities such as this can help kids learn that nutrition can be fun, and is extremely important.  Integrating interactive activities such as this one in the elementary classroom could be very influential.  Good find Autumn! 

Ben’s Activity

I thought this activity was very interesting, Ben.  Right from the start it got me interested because it allowed me to build a home in the climate that I want.  I don’t think it would have been as effective if the activity didn’t consider the different terrains of our nation.  One thing that I found to be not only interesting, but enlightening was that the “green options” weren’t always the most expensive ones!!  For example, although gas heat was cheapest, wind energy wasn’t the most expensive option.  I think that building greener homes is a wonderful idea and that websites such as this can help people get into the swing of thinking greener.  

Katie’s Activity

I thought that this activity could be very appealing to kids.  The way this website portrays nutrition is really interesting, and I loved the little educational pop-ups to help kids learn about nutrition while they are having fun!  I think that it is important to find fun and interesting ways to teach kids about every topic, and this one definitely does the job for teaching children about healthy food choices and nutrition.  Hopefully if this activity is used in the schools like you suggested Katie, the teachers would find a way to add in information about how eating healthy can prevent many other health problems as children grow older.  Very good find Katie, I think this was my favorite activity!    

Ingrid’s Activity

I thought this activity was the most educational and informational activity that I have done.  Although it wasn’t kid-friendly and fun like the other ones (and wasn't supposed to be), it was super interesting to learn about how I am affecting the water supply on this earth.  I liked how the questions addressed all areas of the home, and after calculating my score  (which by the way was 75 gallons per week) I learned of very specific ways to reduce my water usage.  For example I could save 13 gallons a day just by taking a shower that is 1 minute shorter.  I could also save 17 gallons per day if I only used low-flow toilets.  Of course I can’t control the toilets that UMD has, but its good information to have for when I build my eco-friendly house that Ben helped me find!!!   Good job Ingrid, this water calculator activity was very cool!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed my activity :) Good job not being a water hog like myself, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed all these activities Sara J! Haha, that would be awesome if my activity allowed you to have low-flow toilets =) Your post looks amazing as usual, have a great time in CO!!! You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Sara J. I agree with you that picking the climate on Ben's activity was interesting... I think that everyones activities were equally fun... minus yours haha it was nasty, but had such a great message!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you enjoyed all the activities Sara! I agree with you that everyone's activities were great! I think we all learned at least one thing from each one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like my activity and good luck with build you eco-friendly house!!

    ReplyDelete