Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Share and Voice 6: Let's Talk about Sex...

OKAY! Sex is way too taboo in our society.  On campus I am a Peer Health Educator where I go to various classrooms/events on campus and talk about sex realistically.  So I present to you Share & Voice sex: Realistic talk about sex with my fellow environmentalers. 
Basically, I care about you guys.  I don't want any of you ladies coming back with an unwanted pregnancy, I don't want any of you unprepared men to find out in about 6 weeks that you will be a father thanks to your frisky spring break sex. 
MOST IMPORTANTLY: I don't want any of you guys coming back to UMD with STI's.  So, let's talk about sex!
This is a handout I made for Eta Sigma Gamma National Health Education Honorary.  We have been doing some tabling to promote spring break safety which includes: sex, alcohol, sun, and basic safety.  Since I seem to talk about sex all of the time these days (I am a PHE member, I am doing a UROP on family planning, I am in Georgia's Sex Ed class this semester...) I volunteered to prepare a handout that includes the following tips: 
  • Know your sexual boundaries before your trip.  Make sure your travel buddies and you are all on the same page and hold each other accountable throughout the trip.
  •  Make sure you pack lots of condoms, lubricant and your birth control pills if you take them. Also, head to the pharmacy before you take off and pick up some Plan-B Emergency Contraceptives (just in case).  Even if you don’t plan on having sex, one of your friends might be. 
  • If you have sex during spring break with someone other than your normal partner, GET TESTED when you return.  Many STI’s don’t have symptoms, especially for the first few months of infection.
  •  If you feel as though you were too intoxicated to consent to sex, or were drugged, and taken advantage of, go to the local police or emergency room to get tested, and documentation.
  • LADIES: Female condoms can be inserted up to 8 hours before having sex.  Consider inserting one before going out, especially if you plan on drinking.
  • GUYS: You are just as responsible for birth control and STI protection! Pick up some Plan-B yourself; pack plenty of condoms and lubricant!! Don’t be afraid to ask a lady if she is using birth control. 
  • Lets be honest: 9 out of 10 HIV infections have been transmitted while under the influence, majority of infected persons do not know they are infected (with any STI), majority of people may not admit to being infected…   
Do you want an STI; do you want an unplanned pregnancy??  
If not, plan ahead, be prepared, take responsibility for own birth control and STI protection.
Have a wonderful and sexually safe spring break!!  


6 comments:

  1. Good idea for a share and voice...I am not planning a trip anytime soon but these are great suggestions to remember! Good Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Sara!!! Way to represent!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good information Sara! Way to use the Eta Sigma Gamma tools!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good info! When I went to Mexico, my brother-in-law (who likes to pick on me) said "I hope you didn't bring the HIV back with you... " I didn't of course, but I thought it was funny... It's very important to educate college kids on being safe when they are on spring break, so very good idea for hand-out/post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah sara!!! i love it that you did a blog about sex!!

    ReplyDelete